On November 11, Luque allowed Maradona to leave hospital eight days after undergoing brain surgery. On Wednesday, Maradona died after suffering from a heart attack at his home in Buenos Aires. Soccer star Diego Maradona, who was hospitalized last Monday and subsequently operated on for brain swelling, insists on leaving the hospital, although his doctor declines to discharge him so that he can continue with recovery. EPA-EFE/Enrique García Medina

Leopoldo Luque, doctor of former Argentine soccer player, Diego Maradona, speaks to the press outside the Olivos clinic where he is hospitalized in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 06 November 2020. style=”font-size:40px; line-height: 1.3em; font-weight: 800; padding:7px;”>Maradona’s doctor probed for involuntary manslaughter

By Elena Pavlovska
Journalist

epa08803748 Leopoldo Luque, doctor of former Argentine soccer player, Diego Maradona, speaks to the press outside the Olivos clinic where he is hospitalized in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 06 November 2020. Leopoldo Luque, his personal physician. I think he needs a lot of care, we all know that Diego needs a lot of care’ he said on 06 November, in statements to the press, the Dr. ‘I think this is the first time or one of the few times that Diego is told no. Leopoldo Luque, his personal physician. Soccer star Diego Maradona, who was hospitalized last Monday and subsequently operated on for brain swelling, insists on leaving the hospital, although his doctor declines to discharge him so that he can continue with recovery. Maradona suffered from serious health problems for many years, including multiple heart attacks, hepatitis and a gastric bypass due to his issues with his weight. Luque said that he had done “everything he could, up to the impossible” to save his friend, and expressed willingness to give testimony in front of a judge even if he was not called in by investigators. Argentina is coming out of three days of national mourning following the death of the football legend. I think he needs a lot of care, we all know that Diego needs a lot of care' he said on 06 November, in statements to the press, the Dr. 'I think this is the first time or one of the few times that Diego is told no. Local media reported that police raided Luque’s home and clinic on Sunday after witnesses reportedly said they had seen a fight between the star and Luque, which allegedly included a shove. EPA-EFE/Enrique García Medina

Facebook

Twitter

Linkedin

WhatsApp

Viber

Email

Print

Football legend Diego Maradona’s doctor, Leopoldo Luque, is being investigated for involuntary manslaughter in connection with the star’s death.

style=”font-size:40px; line-height: 1.3em; font-weight: 800; padding:7px;”>UK to ban installation of new Huawei 5G kit from September

By Elena Pavlovska
Journalist

epa07331064 A general view of the Sydney headquarters of Chinese tech company Huawei at Chatswood in Sydney, Australia, 30 January 2019. A central part of that is combating high-risk vendors, and I have set out an unambiguous timetable for the complete removal of Huawei equipment from our 5G networks no later than 2027. EPA-EFE/DAN HIMBRECHTS

Facebook

Twitter

Linkedin

WhatsApp

Viber

Email

Print

The UK government on Monday announced that British telecom companies will not be allowed to install new Huawei 5G equipment after September 2021. The UK gave the telecom companies until 2027 to remove Huawei’s technology from their 5G networks. In July, Britain reversed its policy to allow Huawei to provide infrastructure for its 5G network under pressure from the United States, which has been lobbying for a 5G ban among its western allies. Under the new legislation, British telecom companies could be fined up to 10% of turnover or €111,434 a day if they contravene the ban. Last year, the US added Huawei to its trade blacklist, amid concerns that its 5G equipment enables the Chinese government to spy on other nations. EPA-EFE/DAN HIMBRECHTS AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND OUT

A general view of the Sydney headquarters of Chinese tech company Huawei at Chatswood in Sydney, Australia, 30 January 2019. The move is part of the country’s plan to phase out the Chinese tech giant’s 5G infrastructure. In May, Washington banned American technology for Chinese processor chips. “We are taking bold steps to implement one of the toughest telecoms security regimes in the world. This will be done through new and unprecedented powers to identify and ban telecom equipment which poses a threat to our national security”, digital secretary Oliver Dowden said in a statement.

EPA-EFE/ANDY RAIN

Facebook

Twitter

Linkedin

WhatsApp

Viber

Email

Print

The United Kingdom and France on Saturday signed a deal to try to stop illegal migration across the Channel, a dangerous route used by migrants to reach the UK on small boats. Under the agreement, the number of officers patrolling French beaches would double, and new equipment including drones and radar would be employed. She added that the UK is planning to introduce a new asylum system through legislation soon. Migrants from Syria and other countries are continuing to arrive along the coast of the UK in their quest for asylum. style=”font-size:40px; line-height: 1.3em; font-weight: 800; padding:7px;”>UK, France sign new deal to stop illegal migration across Channel

By Elena Pavlovska
Journalist

epa08612519 A Border Force vessel brings in migrants found off the coast of Dover in Dover, Kent, Britain, 19 August 2020. EPA-EFE/ANDY RAIN

A Border Force vessel brings in migrants found off the coast of Dover in Dover, Kent, Britain, 19 August 2020. Migrants from Syria and other countries are continuing to arrive along the coast of the UK in their quest for asylum. Patel said that in 2020, French authorities had stopped 5,000 migrants from travelling to the UK. “Thanks to more police patrols on French beaches and enhanced intelligence sharing between our security and law enforcement agencies, we are already seeing fewer migrants leaving French beaches”, UK interior minister Priti Patel said. Patel also said that over the last ten years, the UK had given France 150 million pounds to tackle immigration. This year, hundreds of people have crossed to southern England from camps in northern France, and many migrants have drowned. Britain and France are continuing ongoing talks to try to resolve the migrant crisis in the English Channel. Britain and France are continuing ongoing talks to try to resolve the migrant crisis in the English Channel.

EPA-EFE/MARTIN DIVISEK

Facebook

Twitter

Linkedin

WhatsApp

Viber

Email

Print

The Czech Republic’s health minister Jan Blatny on Sunday said the government will allow restaurants and non-essential shops to reopen on December 3. style=”font-size:40px; line-height: 1.3em; font-weight: 800; padding:7px;”>Czech government to allow shops, restaurants to reopen from Dec. The largest Christmas market at the Old Town Square in Czech capital was cancelled due to the coronovirus pandemic measures. 3

By Elena Pavlovska
Journalist

epa08840769 A woman wearing protective face mask walks as workers decorate a Christmas tree at Old Town Square in Prague, Czech Republic, 25 November 2020. Currently, only 6 people are allowed to gather. Shops and restaurants will however, have to limit customer numbers. The government said it will move down to level 3 on its 5-level coronavirus risk scale. As of Saturday, total cases in the country stood at 518,649, while coronavirus-related deaths reached 8,054. The announcement comes as the country’s daily COVID infections dropped below 5,000 in six out of the past seven days. EPA-EFE/MARTIN DIVISEK

A woman wearing protective face mask walks as workers decorate a Christmas tree at Old Town Square in Prague, Czech Republic, 25 November 2020. The night-time curfew will be lifted, but pubs will have to close by 10pm. Under the new rules, museums and galleries can open with limited capacity and individual indoor sports activities can resume. The largest Christmas market at the Old Town Square in Czech capital was cancelled due to the coronovirus pandemic measures. The only Christmas tree will standing on the square and will be light up on first Advent weekend. The only Christmas tree will standing on the square and will be light up on first Advent weekend. “The shorter the period stores are open before Christmas, the higher the concentration of people would be in shops”, Blatny said, adding that the government plans to introduce wider antigen testing. The number of people who may gather will increase to 50 people outside and 10 inside.

On Saturday, the country’s health authorities announced that 3,987 new COVID-19 cases had been registered in the past 24 hours. The PM will continue performing his duties from home, the spokesperson added, with the head of the Plenkovic’ office, Zvonimir Frka-Petesic telling local media that the PM would participate in Monday’s cabinet meeting via video link and that as far as he knew, his schedule would remain unaffected, with all meetings shifting to virtual. style=”font-size:40px; line-height: 1.3em; font-weight: 800; padding:7px;”>Croatian PM in self-isolation after wife tests positive for COVID-19

By Zoe Didili
Journalist, New Europe

epa08747163 Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic arrives for a two-days face-to-face European Council summit, in Brussels, Belgium, 15 October 2020. EPA-EFE/OLIVIER HOSLET/ POOL

Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic arrives for a two-days face-to-face European Council summit, in Brussels, Belgium, 15 October 2020. He was assigned a measure of self-isolation for 10 days,” government spokesperson Marko Milic wrote in a Twitter post. Consequently, @AndrejPlenkovic was tested on Saturday and his test was negative. The news about Plenkovic came amid a spike in infections across the bloc, with Croatia recording the second highest concentration of cases in the EU after Luxembourg, according to data published on Saturday by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. EU countries leaders are meeting in person for a two-day summit expected to focus mainly on EU-UK negotiations following Brexit, climate ambition and EU Budget. EPA-EFE/OLIVIER HOSLET/ POOL

Facebook

Twitter

Linkedin

WhatsApp

Viber

Email

Print

Croatia’s Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic has entered a 10-day self-isolation period after his wife tested positive for Coronavirus, and will continue working from home, a government spokesperson announced on Saturday. “After the onset of mild fever, the Prime Minister’s wife took a test for COVID19 on Saturday and tested positive.